Sunday, February 24, 2013

A quick cycling/triathlon interlude!

As I mentioned in my little blurb on the side, every now and then I might post a bit of cycling stuff.  Most of my training and the occasional race that I do are pretty ordinary - familiar routes and details to most cyclists around Canberra.

I had the opportunity last weekend though to do something a little different - a team sprint distance triathlon.  A last minute withdrawal from the team meant that my friend was looking for a replacement for the race at the Huskisson Triathlon Festival.  Being that I am a terrible swimmer but a reasonable cyclist, I opted for the bike leg out of the two choices given to me.

On the Saturday morning we joined the 12 other teams, plus many other individuals, who were completing the 750m swim, 20km bike ride and 5km run around the roads and beach of beautiful Huskisson.  I have to say, it was a lot of fun!  There was a real buzz in the air, and the atmosphere was so positive and encouraging that I really enjoyed it - and the two other girls in my team were excellent company:




We also watched the run leg of the long distance course (2km swim, 83km bike ride, 20km run!) on the Sunday from the backyard of our holiday house, rented for the weekend.  As we cheered on many seemingly shattered athletes (and a few superhuman looking ones too!), I realised what a commitment and test of endurance this race really was.  Despite this, I can't deny I was a little inspired....definitely seeded some ideas for branching out sport-wise this year ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment